Welcome to the Advanced Course on Emotional and Social Development and Family Engagement. This course is a set of 11 self-paced modules for early care and education providers that focus on evidence-based instructional practices that promote children’s social skills and prevent challenging behaviors. In these modules, the Social-Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (SEFEL) strategies have been linked with the North Carolina Foundations for Early Learning and Development as well as NC Professional Teaching Standards. The connection between the NC Foundations for Early Learning and Development and the NC Standard Course of Study for kindergarten (Common Core State Standards and NC Essential Standards) are emphasized in each module.
Directions for Obtaining a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION: Upon successful completion of each module (70% passing score) you will be able to save and/or print a certificate of completion for one (1) contact hour. If you do not SAVE AND/OR PRINT the certificate, you will have to go back through the module and retake the quiz in order access the certificate again.
DCDEE Moodle Professional Development: If you have an Early Educator Certification and are seeking professional development for certification renewal, you will need to complete The Advanced Course on Emotional and Social Development and Family Engagement through Moodle on the Division of Child Development and Early Education (DCDEE) site http://www.dcdee.moodle.nc.gov/. Scroll to the bottom of the DCDEE site for Directions to Access Moodle Trainings.
Please start with the Introduction module which will describe the make-up of the modules, and some logistics for working through the modules.
- Module 1: Foundations Overview
- Module 2: Formative Assessment
- Module 3: Promoting Positive Relationships
- Module 4: Classroom Design
- Module 5: Behavior Expectations and Rules
- Module 6: Schedules and Routines
- Module 7: Directions and Feedback
- Module 8: Promoting Emotional Literacy and Empathy
- Module 9: Recognizing and Controlling Anger and Impulses
- Module 10: Problem Solving
- Module 11: Developing Friendships
Handouts specific to each module are available below and within each module, as needed:
- Universal Handouts for Modules 1-7 | Modules 8-11
- Module 1 Handouts | Presentation Slides
- Module 2 Handouts | Presentation Slides
- Module 3 Handouts | Presentation Slides
- Module 4 Handouts | Presentation Slides
- Module 5 Handouts | Presentation Slides
- Module 6 Handouts | Presentation Slides
- Module 7 Handouts | Presentation Slides
- Module 8 Handouts | Presentation Slides
- Modules 9 Handouts | Presentation Slides
- Module 10: Handouts | Presentation Slides
- Module 11: Handouts | Presentation Slides
Facilitator's Guidebook: Provides tips for supervisors and serves as a reference manual to help guide staff through the process of completing the course.